West Yorkshire Police Federation has negotiated a new group insurance scheme for members – including mobile phone cover and home emergency cover – at no extra cost.
The new bespoke insurance scheme offers its members savings of more than £1,220 per person when compared with average high street rates.
The Federation will change its group insurance provider to Philip Williams & Co Insurance Management on Saturday 1 November.
It marks the sixth year in a row in which there has been no increase in group insurance costs for serving members.
The new scheme includes the usual cover such as:
- Life insurance (up to £120,000)
- Critical illness (up to £15,000)
- Legal expenses
- A worldwide travel policy
- And Europe-wide motor breakdown, including home start and relay
BUT it also offers many extra new benefits to members:
- Mobile phones are now covered. Members need only prove ownership.
- Home emergency cover. Help for sudden and unexpected issues such as roof damage, a broken boiler and heating issues, as well as plumbing issues and loss of domestic power supply.
- Assault cover. The package has been designed specifically for people working in policing so includes job-specific cover. For example, officers might be eligible for an assault benefit if they suffer an injury from a knife, firearm or other sharp instrument while on duty.
- Unsocial hours benefit. Paid out if injuries from an accident prevents officers from performing their unsociable hours duty at work.
- Red Arc Plus cover. This means members or their families suffering from a serious health condition, bereavement or disability have access to telephone support from a qualified, experienced nurse. (And if clinically necessary face to face counselling sessions).The nurse-led support service is completely independent and confidential, so no records will go to the force, Federation or the NHS. Officers can self-refer.
Nick Smart, chairman of West Yorkshire Police Federation said: “It is great news that we are able to provide an enhanced package with lots of very useful cover for serving members for no extra cost. We feel this is really good value for money.”
The new Group Insurance Scheme is also available to serving members of police staff.
You can see more information about the new scheme on the Federation website here
Date posted: November 1, 2014